September 2, 2008

Crazy Labor Day Weekend

Get me to the Haunted Mansion on Time?!?!?!

I'm not sure how I did it, but I convinced my mom to take my unemployed-ass to Disney World on Sunday. We were supposed to take my grandma, but more on that to come. We had a great day. For those of you that live in the south, you get it. August in Florida feels like the equivalent of taking a walk through hell.....its hot, humid and there's almost no breeze, and that's why we love it so much.

So, we go to the park (Magic Kingdom, thank you) and we had a faboo day. It was 82 degrees, overcast and breezy, it was almost fall-like. And, because the forcast was for all day rain, there were very few people there...seriously, we didn't wait over 30 minutes for any ride all day. We were debating where to go next, and I suggested the Haunted Mansion. One of my all time favs, if you haven't been in a while, they've updated it very well, but kept it classically true and its cool to go through and try to decipher what's new and what's always been there! (and I love knocking on the Doom-Buggy in front of us in the dark!)

As we are leaving and walk outside, I see this white flash behind the brick entrance....and then I see it. There is a woman, about 22, in a wedding gown, complete with heels, white elbow length gloves, veil and a tiara. She is standing with a man, about 30, in a black suit, white shirt and black tie, throwing a black backpack over his shoulder. As they walk toward Fantasy Land, her beautiful white dress with intricate gold embroidery bustled crooked in the back and dragging on the ground behind her, little girls standing in line gasp, point and yell "Look!" And she is beaming!

As my mom and I were walking to get ice cream (yes I'm aware I'm insanely spoiled!) I was completely exasperated and told my mom, "If at any point, I decide to get married and I come and tell you that after my wedding I want to run around Disney World in my wedding dress please feel free to smack me!" She looked so proud.

Since Sunday, I've done a bit of research, at favorideas.com and Disney Fairytale Weddings, and I've found that
  • Walt Disney World hosts more than 2,300 weddings each year.
  • Walt Disney World is the most popular wedding/honeymoon location in the U.S.
  • An average Disney Wedding with 100 guests costs more than $20,000.
  • The simplest possible wedding at Walt Disney World will run you about $4,000, and this for an intimate affair with up to 18 guests. That will buy you a four-night honeymoon at Disney resort, a daylight ceremony, a wedding cake, a bouquet for the bride, a marriage certificate (signed by Mickey!), and several other trimmings, but no reception.
Well....I don't know about you, but I think $75 per person in shorts in Florida in August is enough to ride Its a Small World and the Haunted Mansion. I also think that when I get married, whenever that is, that I'd rather spend time with my friends and family...but that's all the choice that I get to make.

Grandma's got White Hair!
If you know me, you know that my mom's side of my family is a long line of women, that are rather with-it, led by my Grandma. She's always been a very young grandma. When she turned 60, she bought a red-Mitsubishi Eclipse. She has ALWAYS gotten her hair done and wears makeup to the grocery store. When I was home for the weekend...we met her for drinks and dinner, and she has white hair. Now there are many people, like my Dad, who don't understand the relevance of this. All I can tell you, its devestating to me....mostly because she's really getting old and that's hard to handle.

Hope you enjoyed your visit to MollyWood....I'll catch you tomorrow!

No comments: