September 17, 2008

Swamp Thing...You Make my Heart Sing!

So, the fact that I haven't had an actual date in over a year (please don't remind me, I'm going to get bitter) obviously doesn't make me happy. And then I talk to my fabulous single girlfriends and instead of being not happy, I'm confused.

I was hanging out at Panera last night (free internet with a really good signal and faboo lemonade!) and I talked to my friend Jen. She had sent me a partial profile of a boy she met through J-Date....who had "hotlisted" her. One thing that puzzled me, she was surprised that someone had "hotlisted" her. And I kept wondering....why would my fabulous and adorable friend, who is highlly educated, smart, AND funy be surprised that someone was interested in her.

Now, it being the internet age, I'm not immune to the internet dating. I've done it a few times, a few with relative success, and a few that were disasters....ask me about the ice sculpture with shrimp. So, I'm used to getting emails with profiles and sending them. When we talked, one thing Jen couldn't get over was, this guy had "hotlisted" her without looking at her profile.

But, the details that she got seem good....Single, Man seeking a Woman, Looking For: Marriage, A long-term relationship, Marriage & Children, 34 years old, Single, I keep Kosher: Not at all, I go to Synagogue: Sometimes, Non-Smoker, Social Drinker, Bachelor's Degree, Occupation Financial/Accounting/Insurance/Real Estate. She told me she was interested and went to look at his profile, but he didn't have a photo, so we couldn't properly dissect him on the phone.

And then she said it.

"I don't know, let's just see if he looks like swamp-thing. I mean, I'm open, but if he looks like the star of a Wes Craven movie, I'm out."

And I wondered, why do we do this to ourselves? Why are we suprised that someone that looks good on paper is interested in us? Why do we assume that someone that's interested in us has something wrong with them? Why is this whole dating thing so hard? And why won't my gmail load....does anyone else use gmail? Can you tell me what's going on? Last night...it kept reloading while I was trying to read emails!

Hope you enjoyed your trip to MollyWood...I'll catch you tomorrow!

UPDATE: Gmail HTML version is working, but not the Beta.

No comments: