October 12, 2008

What if?

Well...I had this fantastic (and funny) post about the yard sale I had yesterday and the variance of the random folks that showed up to purchase my unwanted stuff. And for the record 50 cents is not too much to charge for an adorable Ann Taylor T-Shirt that has been worn less than 20 times. I promise you that I paid much more than that for it and 50 cents is a good deal.

Instead, I'm going to write about what if. It seems pretty appropriate that as my life (and home) are in transition right now, that I would be thinking about what would have happened if I hadn't made such a dramatic change three years ago. I could have stayed in the relationship I was in. I could have kept going in the job I was in, I would have been promoted eventually, but I don't know if I would have learned as much. There are some great movies that explore the "what if" idea, Sliding Doors is by far my favorite. But I finished Allison Winn Scotch's new book, Time of My Life, litterally in one day. I started it yesterday as something to read while I was between yard sale customers, but its a GREAT book. I kept reading, until 2am when I apparently passed out with the lights on, and then continued this morning until I was done.

Its much more than chick-lit (which by the way, I hate the name of. What are we? Baby chickens who need a special kind of literature to enjoy? Why isn't there a category called dick-lit for books written specifically for a male audience? Oh, does that offend you? I'm sorry - but let's just call it what it is.) Its a great read that speaks to how women are expected to change who they are at the expense of figuring out who that person really is. Its also a great idea that people who are meant to be in your life will find their way there one way or another. For the most part, our paths are interlinked and we only have control over parts of that. Its kind of comforting. I enjoyed this becuase unlike others in the genre that it will inevitably get linked with, it really made me think...about the decisions I've made, about my part in all of it, about what I'm really afraid of, and about my path toward finding someone to be with. Overall, I'd say its excellent and I highlly reccommend it.

On another note, I have a feeling that once I get moved, I will probably try out online dating one last time. I know I've said it before, but I might give it one more shot. Who knows.

Hope you enjoyed your trip to MollyWood....I'll try to catch you tomorrow!

No comments: