August 26, 2008

They're Baaaacccckkk

Turning 30 has done something to me. I have always been excited to see students come back to town. This year, I feel like I understand why when my friends and I came back to campus after summer break, the locals would give me dirty looks when I would go shopping. After having to navigate my way through a very busy Publix, I realized I am the old chick giving the students dirty looks becuase they are so vapid. When the hell did that happen??

I knew it was coming in the spring. I was at an event for work at FAMU (Florida A&M University). The DJ announced he would be starting "Old School Hour" and he would be "spinning tracks from back in the day!" Now, I know what you're thinking...if they're old school...everyone should know them. But here's the thing, he then yelled to the crowd of college students as he played Bel Biv Devo's Poison "This song came out in 1990...Hands up to all you people born in 1990." And then it happened...about 1/3 of the crowd (about 800 students) threw their hands up in the air and screamed.

And I thought to myself...didn't I start babysitting in 1990? I mean, I wasn't old, but I was in middle school when Poison came out. Then, he did it. He played the anthem to all suburban white children of the 80's...Ice Ice Baby. I was walking around singing, EVERY SINGLE WORD and one of the college students I was working with said, "Do it Molly. I can't believe you know this song!" The look of shock and amazement on my face should have been priceless. This kid...who very possibly was concieved while someone was listening to this song was amazed that I, the coolest adult there, knew this song.

You know better don't you? I hope you enjoyed your visit to MollyWood...I'll catch you tomorrow!

No comments: