November 9, 2008

Here we go a Waltzing...

So, I’m back in Tally for the weekend – GO NOLES! I met my parents at the hotel (props to Poppa Pete for letting me crash with them!) Once we all got into town, we went to Chili’s for dinner. Fab idea by the way to take a man who can’t hear and refuses to wear a hearing aid to a restaurant with tile floors, wood walls and hard surfaces to a place that serves 2-for-1 all day, every day. It was by far the loudest I’ve ever heard it!

So, while we’re at Chili’s I run to the restroom, and find it chock full of FSU’s finest sorority girls. All wearing adorable LBDs and putting on red feather boas. Not the most unique part, as most of us that have pledged loyalty to some secret society have at least one feather boa story in our arsenal. What got me, these girls were obviously going waltzing, and they were organized.
Point of reference here, in Tallahassee, when you turn 21, you do your Tennessee Waltz, as all of the bars in town (well most of them anyway) are on Tennessee Street.
And when I say organized, I mean they had made buttons – big ones that said something like “We’re getting Black Jacked for Holly’s Waltz”.

So, I go back to the table and tell my folks about it, cause 9 years ago, you know I did it. And soon, we see the whole gaggle of them leaving Chili’s, with some boys in tow, and the birthday girls’ MOM trailing behind them. Now, I don’t know about you, but the celebration for my 21st birthday was absolutely no place for my parents. They knew I did it, but they didn’t want details, and that was fine by me. We don’t need to fondly discuss how I threw up outside of one bar and then went into another for more drinks, really, it should all stay a reverently kept secret.

When we were done with our meal, we walk out of Chili’s to find a party bus and Mom is getting off, waiving saying “Have fun girls, be safe” and that sort of mom-type shit. Seriously?? Who’s Mom goes with them to start their 21st birthday partying?

No comments: